MerriLUG meeting this Thursday.

Ken D'Ambrosio kend at xanoptix.com
Tue May 17 13:18:00 EDT 2005

Hello, one and all.  Our meeting this Thursday was putatively scheduled to
talk about security, but something's come up that offers us an interesting
look at the day-to-day meanderings of Linux as a political creature: the
whole Linux World/Sys-Con/Maureen O'Gara/SCO/Groklaw debacle.  (See links
at bottom of page for pertinent links.)  The person who really made the
whole thing explode was one James Turner, the (now former) senior editor
at Linux World... who just so happens to live in Derry.  He wears many
hats in addition to his editorship, and should make for an interesting
speaker.  (I bumped into him at the LinuxWorld Expo, and thought he'd be a
prime candidate for speaker sometime -- though I hadn't envisioned these
circumstances.)  Regardless, I'm looking forward to hearing his piece.

Please RSVP if you're planning the 6:00 dinner (7:00 meeting upstairs), so
I can make reservations.  Hopefully this time we won't be pre-empted by
pesky basketball players.  (Chris, at Martha's, isn't in today, so I can't
be sure of the room's availability until tomorrow.)

Look forward to seeing you!

-Ken

James' original Slashdot post:
http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/05/09/1032230&tid=188&tid=1&tid=106
Marueen O'Gara gets the boot:
http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/05/10/1653207&tid=149&tid=106
Interview with Sys-Con publishers:
http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/05/13/2111225&tid=149&tid=95&tid=123&tid=1
LinuxWorld senior editorial staff resigns:
http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/05/14/070233&tid=149&tid=1&tid=106
Groklaw's PJ on the whole thing: