recovering FC3 from a bad superblock

aluminumsulfate at earthlink.net aluminumsulfate at earthlink.net
Wed May 18 23:20:01 EDT 2005

   From: Ben Scott <dragonhawk at gmail.com>
   Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 20:44:22 -0400

   On 5/18/05, Derek Martin <invalid at pizzashack.org> wrote:
   > > First, it's just asking for data loss to run window$ and linux on the
   > > same machine.
   >
   > I really have to strongly disagree there...

     I gotta go with Derek on this one.  Doze and Nix can co-exist just
   fine.  Heck, I've had Linux, MS-DOS 5.0, Windows 95, and OS/2 all on
   the same disk without problems.  Today, I've got Linux, Windows 98,
   and Windows XP, all on the same disk, without problems.

In theory, yes.  In reality, no so much.  Just try adding a little NT4
SP3 or 2K AS to your linux box.  That's all it'll take to hose your
beloved linux filesystems.  Obviously, you guys have a much higher
tolerance for data loss than I do.  My tolerance for data corruption
is essentially zero.  Simply the fact that you're running win anything
means your system is more likely to go nutz on you.  Additionally,
there's nothing to stop win (any version) from accessing (trashing,
etc. fill in the blank with your favorite form of destuction) your
linux partitions if it so fancies.  To be fair, though, win9x does
cohabitate *relatively* well with linux.  The only problem I've had
with win9x variants on linux systems was that stupid Y2K bug I
mentioned.

I'm not going to lecture y'all on the risks of running windoze on
valuable data.  If you haven't had any problems, that's great.  Just
consider yourselves lucky.  And... consider yourselves warned.