linux on old laptop with 8 MB RAM

Bill McGonigle bill at bfccomputing.com
Mon May 23 21:48:00 EDT 2005

On May 23, 2005, at 19:16, Peter Dobratz wrote:

> Are there any Linux distributions that can be installed from a
> floppy/network configuration that will install with 8 MB of RAM?

Maybe - check out Deli Linux

   http://www.delilinux.de/#about

You'd want the lowmem.dsk boot floppy.  I'd like to hear how you fare
if you try it.  This might be a good tool for us to unload some real
junk at Hosstraders in the fall.  And I know of a library or two that
could stand it.

I remember upping my 486 from 8 to 16MB c' 94 just so I could run X
comfortably, so 8 might be a stretch today.  I'd offer my RedHat 4.2
disks but you wouldn't want to get that thing near a network cable
today (for security).

-Bill
-----
bill at bfccomputing.com           Mobile: 603.252.2606
http://www.bfccomputing.com/    Pager: 603.442.1833
AIM: wpmcgonigle                YIM: billmcgonigle

For fastest support contact, please follow:
http://bfccomputing.com/support_contact.html