linux on old laptop with 8 MB RAM

aluminumsulfate at earthlink.net aluminumsulfate at earthlink.net
Tue May 24 22:31:01 EDT 2005

   From: Tom Buskey <tbuskey at gmail.com>
   Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 09:20:56 -0400

   > Are there any Linux distributions that can be installed from a
   > floppy/network configuration that will install with 8 MB of RAM?

   I'd imagine Slackware can.  NetBSD 2.0 can.  I've installed that
   (until running out of disk) on a 386/8mb/100mb disk system via FTP.
   With 500MB you could probably get the whole base system.  I pared it
   down to the minimum.

Yes, Slackware 3.5 should.  A full install will fit in 500MB with room
to spare.  And installation on 8MB machines was still supported back
then.