C or C++ Summary

Jim Kuzdrall gnhlug at intrel.com
Tue May 31 07:43:00 EDT 2005

   Thank you for all the helpful comments and information.  I am now
much better prepared to justify my choice.

   It is a little difficult to tally your opinions as votes, but I will
try to group them in dominant categories.

   The most common advantage mentioned for C++ was reusable, portable
code, but there was an only slightly smaller number saying, for one
reason or another, the code is rarely reused.  The point is moot in
this case.  The code will never be reused because this is the final
upgrade of a training system that is being replaced by a new concept.

   The most common disadvantage of C++ compared to C was the added
complexity and the need for expert programming skills to get the most
benefit from its disciplining and portability features.

   I hadn't considered the effect of constructor-destructor facility on
code size and timing control.  Although problems can be avoided in
application functions, and the STL functions can be avoided or
rewritten, there is less advantage to using C++ if so much attention
must be devoted to defeating its features.

   The most common advantage of C cited was its "portable assembly
language" aspect.  Since most of this program is low-level interaction
with hardware and the processing of its raw data, this advantage weighs
in heavily for this project.

    I think we can all agree that no programming language can protect a
project against inept or inattentive programmers.  Since most of the
programming errors I spend time on are logical slip-ups or oversights
regarding the application (ignoring the syntax errors the compiler
quickly catches), even a perfectly effective OOP language will only
have a minor effect on my programming efficiency.  Beginning
programmers probably benefit the most from the OOP safety net.

    Thank you again for the help.  The NH LUG is a great resource.

Jim Kuzdrall