Alternative to k3b? or why is everything soooooo slow?

Bruce Labitt bruce.labitt at verizon.net
Sun Nov 6 13:59:00 EST 2005

Thanks for the suggestions on a DVD burner...  Now I need some help in
getting the burner to write dvd's  at anywhere near the advertised rate!

I've got a Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-110D running in UltraDMA/66 mode.  I'm
using KDE 3.4.2a running SuSE9.0 and kernel 2.4.21.297.  The device is
listed as /dev/hdc and linked as /dev/dvdrecorder.

When I used k3b to burn a SuSE9.3 iso it only ran at a burn rate of
0.4X.  This is somewhat irritating since it is rated as at least a 8x
drive when burning +R media.  Worse than taking 2.5 hours to burn a
potential coaster is the fact that my system clock was more than 1 hour
off [slow] after burning a full dvd!

I read on the k3b site that this is a problem on some machines and not
others.  Also there is a comment to disable suseplugger and kded in
order to burn dvds/cds.  I tried this and it does not seem to materially
change anything.

So to the questions:  Is there a better program to use for this
purpose?  Is there something that I can do to get k3b to work better?
I'm not too swift at the CLI, but am willing to try about anything here...

TIA

Bruce