Hardware FAQs and the wiki? [ was Alternative to k3b? ]

Tom Buskey tom at buskey.name
Mon Nov 7 15:40:01 EST 2005

On 11/7/05, Paul Lussier <p.lussier at comcast.net> wrote:

> And, with that in mind, can anyone recommend a decent,
> not-too-expensive video card that has digital-output for driving LCD
> panels and works well with linux?
>
> Since this will be for a sw-dev environment, gaming and refresh rate
> are not the focus, but rather, getting as many colors in emacs'
> font-lock mode to work well, and perhaps the occasional game of
> nethack :)

I've used a Matrox G450 to drive dual CRTs. Worked very well with a nice GUI
supplied that could muck with configs as well as the windows side. It just
worked and did dual monitors nicely w/o having to hack X config files. It
just worked. This was on Redhat 9.

I think there was a DVI out model as well. They had Linux drivers and were
open with the XFree86 project. I'd also recommend Matrox because of this.

--
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad
measures.