Jabber experiences

Thomas Charron twaffle at gmail.com
Tue Nov 15 13:56:00 EST 2005

 I agree with Ken on this one. If you're looking for a plop down, configure,
and just run server, eJabberd is the best open source solution.
  IF, and I say IF real loud, you need to do ANY sort of custom integration,
i.e., external user authentication, rosters modified by external
applciations, etc, then Jabberd 2 is the way to go.
  Basically, eJabberd 'just works', but isn't nearly as dynamic in use as
Jabberd 2, BUT, while Jabberd2 will let you do pretty much anything you
like, it can be worse then configuring Apache.. ;-)
  Also note, that even tho there are transports to allow Jabber to connect
to other IM networks, such as MSIM, Yahoo, and AOL, these transports are
inherintly insecure, as they need to log on to the networks on your users
behalf. Also, if AOL finds too many connections coming in from the same IP,
and they think it's a Jabber server gatewaying for users, they'll blacklist
the IP. AOL is the only one that's this draconian. Just an FYI if you where
considering it.
  Toss me a note if you want to do anything 'fun' internally. Integrating IM
into day to day work operations is fun and productive, and I don't mind
lending a helping hand..
  Thomas