SOHO Backups?

Brian Chabot brian at datasquire.net
Tue Nov 15 15:19:01 EST 2005

Ted Roche wrote:

> Anyone else have a different idea for backups or is tape still the
> thing?

I've set up tape backups for customers in the past... PITA.

I've not tried it yet, but I have an idea for one...

With the price of hard drives these days, you might as well at least
consider a HDD backup solution...

Take a PC, add a removable HDD enclosure, and buy a couple extra caddies
to go with it.  Add appropriately sized HDD's.

Insert removable HDD.  Mount it. Mirrordir to it.  Unmount it.  Remove
and store safely.

Lather.  Rinse.  Repeat.

You could probably do the same with firewire drives, but I think the
above is still cheaper.

Though a HDD and caddy would cost more than a DLT tape, they will also
store significantly more than most tapes and transfer data much faster.

The major drawback is that they are impact sensitive.  Also, it is
currently unknown what the useful life would be if the drive is stored.
HDD lifetimes are measured for drives in use.... as about 3 years,
IIRC.  How long they will last with minumal use and proper storage is
anyone's guess.

Brian