SOHO Backups?

Jim Kuzdrall gnhlug at intrel.com
Tue Nov 15 19:49:01 EST 2005

> However, I hear CD-ROM is unreliable even over 12 months, so that's
> out.

    I have heard this too.  Does anyone know the physical mechanism
responsible for the deterioration?  I seem to associate the tale with a
study at a library, and the CDROMs being scratched by handling.  If
that is the mechanism, it is irrelevant for SOHO.

> Anyone else have a different idea for backups or is tape still the
> thing?

    If we are discussing SOHO as opposed to a multiuser business, the
backup size is smaller and the needs simpler.  My disk image is about
9GB uncompressed.

    I based my backup on hardware failure mechanisms tempered by their
probability of occurrence.  Convenience was another goal.  In addition,
off-site storage is essential for fire, flood, civil disorder, moth
cocoons, etc.

    The first backup is a clone disk that gets an rsync daily.  Two hard
drives are unlikely to fail simultaneously.  The working drive is on
the SCSI bus and the clone is on the IDE bus.  If one drive or bus
fails, I can boot the alternate drive.  (I don't rsync the /etc
or /boot directories.)  That drive is handy because it retains all the
moved directories, deleted files, renamed files, etc.

    A partition on the IDE drive holds the 2d and 3rd backup.  A tar
incremental is done each night.  Every 4 weeks (not every month) I do a
tar image of the working drive to the IDE drive and to a DDS-3 tape.
A bash script and cron get it all done.

    The tape goes to the safe deposit box, of course.  The cheap boxes
at my bank are not wide enough for a CDROM, but a bare 3.5" or 2.5"
drive would fit.

    I bought the DDS-3 tape drive when I knew even less about "big
computers" than I do now.  I rather like it.  The DDS-3 tape is easy to
carry around.  Operation is trouble free.  Every so often I will notice
the tape has ejected, so I put in the next of the 14-tape rotation.

    One seemingly sensible tip is "Don't compress the stored data".  One
missed bit in a compressed file propagates over a lot of data.  Of
course, if it is a binary executable, you are screwed either way.

    So what gives with CDROMs?  I was going to store a picture inventory
for fire and theft insurance on mini-CDROMs in my safe deposit box.

Jim Kuzdrall