[Fwd: Can I bother you with another Linux question?]

Jerry Feldman gaf at blu.org
Fri Nov 18 08:16:01 EST 2005

WRT: /etc/ld.so.conf
This is a file that tells the loader where to find the system shared libraries. You also create an environment variable, LD_LIBRARY_PATH that effectively does the same thing (on a per user basis).

On Linux, normally you will see things like (I removed permissions to prevent line wrap).
root root      14 2005-11-03 06:02 libXm.so -> libXm.so.3.0.2
root root      14 2005-11-03 05:45 libXm.so.3 -> libXm.so.3.0.2
root root 2394104 2005-09-12 20:00 libXm.so.3.0.2

In the above case, libXm.so and  libXm.so.3 are simply symbolic links to the real library, libXm.so.3.0.2. So, you need to copy the actual library to /usr/X11R6/lib, set up the appropriate symbolic links and make sure that /etc/ld.so.conf points to /usr/X11R6/lib(which it should).

As mentioned previously, there are better ways to accomplish what you want to accomplish, but considering that this is a Windows shop and you want 1 tool for all...

Note that Red Hat 9 is a bit obsolete, and has been replaced by Fedora releases.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix user group