Sound broken by Synaptic. Anyone else? Any thoughts

Greg Rundlett greg.rundlett at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 20:49:01 EST 2005

On 11/21/05, Cole Tuininga <colet at code-energy.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-11-21 at 14:52 -0500, Bill Freeman wrote:
> >       As long as Ben is clarifying Debian...  (Not really, but one
> > must heckle occasionally.)
> >
> >       A couple of weeks ago I let Synaptic (APT front end) have its
> > way with update and upgrade of the Compaq Presario 1200Z (1201Z if the
> > label on the bottom is to be believed) laptop that I've been using
> > with Debian Sarge (testing?).
>
> Keep in mind that testing != Sarge.  Sarge is the currently stable
> distribution.  Testing is (by definition) not the stable release.  If
> you're willing to take the risk (usually fairly low) of running testing,
> you have to accept any problems that come with it.

I unintentionally had some of my /apt/sources.list repositories using
the codename 'sarge' and some using the name 'testing'  So, although I
believed I was running Sarge after it became stable, I am in fact
still running testing (which means no security updates).  I realized
this because K3B (the CD/DVD burning software) was *removed* from the
testing slice of Debian due to breakage it was causing. (Note breakage
in this sense could be from a required lib, and not necessarily within
the control of the K3B author(s)).  I was mistakenly under the
impression that some version of applicationX would always be in each
of the 'stable', 'testing' and 'unstable' slices of the Debian pie
once it made it into 'unstable' and somebody was maintaining the
software.

Moral of the story is to check your sources.list for consistency.
Also, things do break in testing.