RAID autodetect?

hewitt_tech hewitt_tech at comcast.net
Fri Nov 25 07:00:11 EST 2005

It seems like software RAID on Linux could easily result in a chicken/egg
situation. For example if your system were completely setup (root and all)
on your RAID array and you had a failure that necessitated booting from a
rescure disk, you might have quite a difficult time getting the
configuration correct so that you could recover your system. I thought that
hardware RAID arrays (usually SCSI) didn't have this problem since the
platform software only sees a disk or disks and not the underlying RAID
hardware. I'm probably wrong about that...

-Alex