RAID autodetect?

hewitt_tech hewitt_tech at comcast.net
Fri Nov 25 15:01:01 EST 2005

When I worked for Compaq in their UNIX support group (my specialty was file
systems), our engineers noticed a pronounced difference in performance
between for example RAID 5 and disks set up as JBOD. The JBOD disks were
definitely faster. Of course for high performance systems we used fibre
channel and logical volume manager (Veritas) on top of our RAID arrays. The
big advantage of the Veritas software was that we could spread our I/O load
across RAID controllers and some customers had huge arrays consisting of
hundreds of disks. Tru64 UNIX was heavily modified for the V5.x versions to
allow arbitrarily large numbers of disk devices to be addressed and managed.

-Alex