Where'd they go ?

Dan Jenkins dan at rastech.com
Sun Nov 27 15:07:01 EST 2005

On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 12:44:47 -0500
Mike Medai <mikemedai at netscape.net> wrote:

>How do I go about finding where things get installed, both command line
>and using KDE?  And how to start them if they don't "magically" appear
>in the "start applications" pop-up menu that KDE has provided (and which
>is driving me nuts as I next plan on rearranging that darn thing properly)?
>
>How does one determine whether a particular program is meant/designed
>for a GUI interface or a command line interface (the obvious Kxxxxx
>doesn't count)?  I've sorted out that when downloading from the 'net, if
>the program is written for X, then it essentially has a GUI interface.
>But that doesn't crop up on the source cd's.

(I believe Suse uses RPMs through YaST. It's been awhile since I used
Suse last.)
For RPM packages, rpm -ql {name of package} will list the files with
their paths.
rpm -qi {name of package} may give you some information as to the
whether the
package is graphical or not. Since I don't use graphical tools under
Linux normally,
I don't know.

--
Dan Jenkins (dan at rastech.com)
Rastech Inc., Bedford, NH, USA --- 1-603-206-9951