RAID autodetect?

Benjamin Scott dragonhawk at iname.com
Sun Nov 27 23:49:00 EST 2005

On Nov 27 at 10:24pm, Paul Lussier wrote:
>> FWIW/FYI: with RAID autodetect, you don't need /etc/raidtab (or any
>> other config file) to find your RAID arrays.
>
> I wasn't certain it wasn't needed.  I suspected as much, given that
> one usually marks the partitions with those magic numbers, but then
> again, creating the raidtab is something I've always "just done".

   It's not needed for RAID autodetect.  It used to be needed to *create* RAID
volumes, but I understand that can be done without a file now.  As you point
out, it is quite useful to have it around for other reasons.  :)  I only
brought it up because this was in the context of RAID autodetect trouble.

>> On Nov 24 at 7:21pm, Paul Lussier wrote:
>>> I think mkinitrd is a Linux thing, not distribution-specific.
>>
>> I believe it originated at Red Hat ...
>
> Really?

   Well, that's what the Fedora man page says.  I recall reading a Debian
manpage saying the same thing at one time.  That's two whole data points, it
clearly must be ultimate truth.  ;-)

>>> If I'm wrong, I'm sure Ben will pipe up with a 3-4 page incredibly
>>> detailed explanation of what I'm confusing ;)
>>
>> I'm thinking I should be feeling insulted, but can't quite figure
>> out what to be insulted about.  ;-)
>>
> I certainly didn't intend to be insulting, merely pointing out that
> you almost always correct me when I'm wrong or mistaken ;)

   I figured as much.  If anything, I would be insulting myself for being so
predictable.  So really, I should be mad at me for insulting myself.  I'm
gonna go have a harsh talk with myself about that!

-- Ben "I'm used to be schizophrenic, but we're okay now" Scott