Where'd they go ?

Bill McGonigle bill at bfccomputing.com
Tue Nov 29 00:14:00 EST 2005

On Nov 28, 2005, at 10:33, Ben Scott wrote:

>   The other school of thought is that everything not provided by the
> distro goes in /usr/local/ and/or /opt/, regardless of whether or not
> it is under package management.  The benefit here is that you can tell
> at a glance what was "layered" on top of the base system.

FWIW, I _try_ to do:

/usr - distro, yum maintained
/usr/local - built from source
/opt - 3rd-party, yum maintained

By _try_, I mean I'm sometimes in too much of a hurry/lazy to rpmbuild
the SRPM with a different prefix, but for the occasional client who
wants everything done right, that's the easiest way to keep things
straight for me.  A shell script that looked like:

	my_rpm -Uhv --install-prefix=/opt

would probably be in order.  See also lazy, above.

-Bill
-----
bill at bfccomputing.com           Mobile: 603.252.2606
http://www.bfccomputing.com/    Pager: 603.442.1833