where to buy a new system.

Ben Scott dragonhawk at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 00:22:01 EST 2005

On 11/28/05, Bill McGonigle <bill at bfccomputing.com> wrote:
>>   Well, if it's for "real work", Pogo, Penguin, or similar might be
>> worth it.
>
> And what does the group think if it's "for real work" but that work
> might be on a mixed OS environment?

  I kind of consider Windows support a "given", in today's age.  I
know both Pogo and Penguin can provide and support dual-boot systems.
Pogo, in particular, has some pretty price competitive systems.

> I can build up a nice SATA Asus bookshelf system for $500 that runs
> better than the $600 boxes from all these guys, but I don't want to be
> in that business.

  That's why the people who are in the business charge more then $500.
 Ha ha, only serious.  I build my home PCs myself.  If I counted the
time I've invested in my main PC, and billed it at, say, $50/hour
(dirt cheap by today's standards), then, lessee, ummm.... I think it
could buy the mid-sized apartment building I live in.  :)

> I realize support and quality parts cost money, so
> where's the $800 box with a 3-year service contract?

  $800?  Forget about Linux, I don't know any major brand that will
provide a decent Windoze box with a 3-year contract for $800.  :)  But
Pogo will sell a real nice box for:

  $1107    base system (A64 3000+, 512 MB, 120 GB, CD/DVD-RW)
+ $ 390    2-year on-site service
+ $ 150    XP Pro
= $1647    TOTAL

  Sure, that's more then the $500 box at Wal-Mart, but a roughly
equivalent Dell will cost you around $1050, without the personal
service or Linux support.  Call Dell OptiPlex support for Linux help,
and Abu will just hang up on you.  Given that it's all about economies
of scale, the $600 price difference doesn't blow me out of the water.
I mean, sure, *I'd* be tempted to just buy the Dell and figure it
out[1], but that's cause I can't remember the last time I called a PC
OEM for actual technical assistance[3].

[1] Actually, I'd be tempted[2] to build from components.
[2] Actually, it wouldn't be a temptation, it would be a fact.  ;-)
[3] As opposed to, "Yah, service Tag 12345, I need a new $PART, I've
already done [list of things twice the length of Abu's script], what's
the DPS number?".

-- Ben