[OT] Stupid Apple flamewar

Travis Roy travis at scootz.net
Tue Nov 29 07:35:01 EST 2005

>> Torx?  Putty knife?
>

>   In 1982, Torx was a "security screw driver".  Heck, in 2005, I had to
> special order a Torx driver with a shank thin *and* long enough to reach
> into the screw wells in my Mac 512K.  And yes, you can use a putty knife
> (I did).  Apple said you had to use a special (and surprisingly
> complicated) tool.  Since Apple said it, it must be true, right?  Or
> does Apple lie?  ;-)

As stated many times already Apple computers, at least their lower end
ones, are not for the tinkering geek. They are for mom and dad that fear
the inside of a computer. Any of their higher end models are VERY easy
to get into, even the older stuff. Most of their early powermacs were
cake to open (most only required pushing in two tabs and the top slid or
popped right off) and there was many MANY upgrade options. Even my blue
and white G3 can be upgraded to a fairly decent processor if I was so
inclined to do so, and that machine takes one little tab to pull and it
opens up.

>>> I mean like suing anyone who even comes close to touching their
>>> precious iTunes and it's Digital Restrictions Management.
>>

>> DRM sucks, but reverse engineering it is illegal.  All turn towards DC
>> and 'salute'.
>
>   Nobody in DC passed any laws requiring Apple to sue anybody.  Apple
> filed the lawsuits purely of their own volition.  I don't sue you under
> the DMCA for quoting my message text[1], because I'm not an asshole[2].
> Apple does.

Apple did not develop the DRM used for music purchased from the iTMS
(note that the iTMS != iTunes). It was developed and licensed by
"FairPlay".

None of us know the conditions of the license, or of their deal with the
RIAA. They are probably required by those terms to go after people
breaking the DRM. Then again, they might not, but we don't know that.