Who here works on Subversion?

Steven W. Orr steveo at syslang.net
Sun Oct 2 20:44:00 EDT 2005

I remember that there were one or two people here who were the sv
developers. Please write back to me. The idea is that there is a
deficiency in sv's merge capabilties and I was wondering if this is a
functional item that is intended to be fixed.

Here's the scenario:

                                   main

                                   /|
                                  / |
                            dev  /  |
                                /   |
                               /-->>|      [dev merges back to main]
                              /     |    [but devel continues on both main
                             /      |     and dev]
                            /----->>|	[Proposed new merge back to main]

Now that we want to do another merge from dev back to main, the merge tool
provides no help in knowing that a previous merge has already happened.
The result is that every affected file will have to be merged manually.

Is this something that sv is planning on supplying?

steveo at syslang.net