Who here works on Subversion?

Paul Lussier p.lussier at comcast.net
Mon Oct 3 13:14:01 EDT 2005

"Steven W. Orr" <steveo at syslang.net> writes:

> I remember that there were one or two people here who were the sv
> developers.

At one time (close to two years ago) I was a release manager for svn.
But I wouldn't call myself a developer.

> The idea is that there is a deficiency in sv's merge capabilties and
> I was wondering if this is a functional item that is intended to be
> fixed.
>

> Here's the scenario:
>
>                                    main
>                                    /|
>                                   / |
>                             dev  /  |
>                                 /   |
>                                /-->>|      [dev merges back to main]
>                               /     |    [but devel continues on both main
>                              /      |     and dev]
>                             /----->>|	[Proposed new merge back to main]
>

> Now that we want to do another merge from dev back to main, the merge
> tool provides no help in knowing that a previous merge has already
> happened. The result is that every affected file will have to be
> merged manually.
>
> Is this something that sv is planning on supplying?

I would expect that you would be able to merge just the deltas between
the first merge and the second back to main by specifying the source
rev numbers on dev.  IOW, assume that the first merge back to main
from dev was rev dev at 10 and the second merge was dev at 20.  You should
be able to do something like:

  svn merge dev at 10 dev at 20 WCPATH

where WCPATH is an up to date checkout of MAIN.  I'm assuming you
merged the original dev changeset in using something like:

  svn merge -r0:10 dev WCPATH

I would

   a) check The Book (Subversion: The Definitive Guide), available
      both from O'Reilly and in the svn source tree.
   b) post your questions to the svn users list where you'll most
      likely get the best help.  You may be able to get a quick answer
      on #svn on freenode as well, most of the developers hang out
      there.

HTH, sorry if it doesn't.  I'm mostly using (and not liking) perforce
these days...
--

Seeya,
Paul