SwaNH Info eXchange report

Ted Roche tedroche at tedroche.com
Mon Oct 10 10:41:01 EDT 2005

I made a presentation last Thursday at the Software Association of
New Hampshire's annual conference "Info eXchange"

http://www.swanh.org and
http://swanh.parkerhill.com/infoxchange/

The GNHLUG logo was prominently displayed at my SwaNH presentation on
"The Future of FOSS Tools" - the slides are in html at:

http://www.tedroche.com/Present/2005/FossFutureWeb/FossFuture.html

This was the eleventh annual conference. It's an interesting mix:
while most attendees are interested in "Enterprise IT," there were
independent developers, headhunters, entrepreneurs, bankers, VCs, and
job seekers. There were a number of crisp business suits. There were
no ponytails. There was a clear distinction between business and
technology. There were two tracks that matched that division, and
about 35 people attended each of the tracks.

When I asked during my presentation who was using Linux/UNIX, about
half the hands (in the technology track) went up. As for FOSS, many
more are using Open tools and resources as part of their IT
solutions. Overall, I think my presentation was well-received.

I have the impression that this is a group we should stay in close
touch with.