CACert?

Bill McGonigle bill at bfccomputing.com
Mon Oct 10 14:25:01 EDT 2005

Are there others here who use or are interested in using CACert
certificates?  I'm a 150-point notary now, and if we get two others we
can churn out more notaries.  We also have the option of having a
keysigning event where CACert will lend temporary points.

For those who are unfamiliar, CACert issues free SSL (X.509)
certificates.  The pro is they base assurance on a web-of-trust and
face-to-face meetings, unlike Verisign, et. al. who will issue anybody
a Microsoft, Inc. certificate.  The con is all the revenue they make is
insufficient to pay for root-certificate inclusion in the Big Browsers.
  As I see it their primary obstacle is their small size, hence this
message.  If we could get 50 notaries in New Hampshire (and others
followed suit), things might start to happen.  You could sign
certificates for your co-workers, family, etc.  This is good for
security, free-software folk and cypherpunks alike.

Currently there are 5 notaries in NH:
<https://www.cacert.org/wot.php?id=1&regid=4570>
     * Brentwood (Rockingham) (Listed: 1)
     * Derry (Rockingham) (Listed: 1)
     * Dover (Strafford) (Listed: 1)
     * Plainfield (Sullivan) (Listed: 1)
     * Portsmouth (Rockingham) (Listed: 1)

Which tends to suggest that our folks in Rockingham county would be the
best candidates for becoming notaries, perhaps using GNHLUG meetings to
do keysignings to spread the cred.

http://cacert.org

If anyone's interested we could put together a plan.

-Bill
-----
bill at bfccomputing.com           Mobile: 603.252.2606
http://www.bfccomputing.com/    Pager: 603.442.1833