Suggestions for SOHO email service

Ted Roche tedroche at comcast.net
Mon Oct 17 12:23:00 EDT 2005

My current email situation has broken down, and I'd like suggestions
on the easiest, cheapest and best solutions for setting email for my
small business.

Currently, we have Comcast cable and internet in our home and a TDS
DSL for the home business. On the DSL, we host three domains for web
serving (It was handy to go downstairs and hit the power button). The
DSL is dynamic IP, unfortunately, and the local TDS office tells me
they have no static IPs they can provision (that wasn't what I was
told initially, and why I bought the line)(and hook, and sinker). Am
I mistaken, or does a dynamic IP address mean that I can't host my
own email server? I've heard that some dynamic IP addresses are
rejected as sources of spam. Would relaying outbound email through
TDS solve part of this?

My domains are registered with MyDomain.com, who provide an email
forwarding service at no charge of up to 10 email accounts per
domain, plus a catch-all account. This lets me feed webmaster@,
abuse@, support@, sales@ as well as several people's accounts to
their ISP, gmail, yahoo! or whatever email accounts.

Unfortunately, MyDomain.com has fallen down on the job. After four
years of near-perfect service, they are dropping, bouncing and
delaying crucial emails. I need to set something else up.

I'd be comfortable setting up an email server on the TDS DSL line,
but since the IP address is dynamic, I'm afraid the mail would be
rejected by some services.

How do other people handle email through their domain when only
dynamic IPs are available? Or is the answer to host the domains at an
ISP?

Ted Roche
Ted Roche & Associates, LLC
http://www.tedroche.com