jabber?

Thomas Charron twaffle at gmail.com
Tue Oct 18 18:07:01 EDT 2005

 That'd be me.. ;-)

*ego infaltes*

You'd know that if you'd read the acknowledgement section of the Jabber/XMPP
RFC.. ;-)

On 10/17/05, Paul Lussier <p.lussier at comcast.net> wrote:

> Currently at work for "instant messaging", we use MIT Zephyr, which
> pretty much pre-dates any IM protocol currently in wide use anywhere.

Blech.. ;-) That IS old.. ;-)

We're considering switching to Jabber, because it seems to fulfill our
> requirements. It appears that it can autheticate against krb5, which
> would be a huge win for us, and it appears to have decent
> cross-platform client support, as well as central logging.

Correct. The Jabberd2 can auth pretty much however the hell you want it, via
build in modules, or, in a worst case, a component the handle external auth
mechanisms that Jabberd2 modules do not exist for.

> There even appear to be a couple of emacs-based jabber clients.

*shudder* There are indeed. Just what people need. ANOTHER kitchen sink for
emacs.. ;-)

> So, I guess my questions are this:
>
> 1. Is anyone running a central jabber server at work for
> intra-company communication?

I have, and have been involved in running one, but do not currently.

2. Is anyone familiar with it's level of support for kerberos auth?

http://j2.openaether.org/mediawiki/index.php/Kerberos

3. How difficult is it to set up and maintain?

Setting up is fairly easy, but can get a bit.. Hrm.. 'obtuse' untill you get
used to it..

4. What else do I need to know :)

NEVER go swimming nekid in the winter time. It's cold, and privates can easy
frostbite..

 Seriously, tho, there are several servers to choose from, but AFAIK, only
Jabberd2 support Kerb. What's the server load going to look like, as in, how
many concurrent users? Also, Kerb auth does require client support, which
not all clients suppot, but could probrably be added in if a demand for it
ever came forward.

Basically, Kerb support in most cases came as a result of a request for it,
but not initial design for it.

Thomas