Speaking of Subversion

Bill Sconce sconce at in-spec-inc.com
Wed Oct 26 12:40:01 EDT 2005

On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 14:26:44 +0000
klussier at comcast.net wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I'm looking for a couple of things related to Subversion:
>
> The first is an integrated build system.

Although my current integrated build system is Python(*), I did a
project a while back using Eclipse, and it was Subversion aware then.
Probably quite nice by now.

> ...The second is a web-based front end...

There's at least one graphical front end.  And the transport mechanism
_can_ be HTTP (served through Apache - which may or may not satisfy what
you mean by "web-based").  The graphical front end I've used is RapidSVN:

    http://rapidsvn.tigris.org/

    RapidSVN is a cross-platform GUI front-end for the Subversion revision
    system written in C++ using the wxWidgets framework. This project also
    includes a Subversion client C++ API.

    Mission
    We want to build a best of breed visual client that utilizes the best
    features of clients from other revision control architectures. While
    being easy enough for users new to Subversion to work with it must also
    be powerful enough to make experienced users even more productive.

    Features
        * Simple - provides an easy to use interface for Subversion features
        * Efficient - simple for beginners but flexible enough to increase
            productivity for experienced Subversion users
        * Portable - runs on any platform on which Subversion and wxWidgets
            can run: Linux, Windows, Mac OS 9/X, Solaris, etc.
    * Fast - entirely written in C++

HTH,

-Bill

(*) Only partly tongue in cheek.  Since Python keeps track of what needs
to be compiled and does it on the fly, and linking isn't necessary at all,
Subversion + Python is nearly complete as an integrated build environment
for many purposes.