[OT] NH protest against HP printers with RFID chips Nov. 5th

John Abreau jabr at blu.org
Wed Oct 26 13:03:00 EDT 2005

Andrew W. Gaunt wrote:

> BTW - If a ticket were to be issued based on EZ pass data
> how would it proved absolutely that the person who owns the EZ pass
> was the person driving whatever vehicle was going over the speed
> limit.Perhaps there are more than one dirver, perhaps the car or pass
> is being loaned out to a friend.

The thing that's always concerned me is, what happens if the clocks on
the EZ pass scanners are out of sync? If the second scanner's clock is a
few minutes behind the first one, then the system does the math and
computes a spped for your car that's faster than what you're actually
doing.

On Wed, 26 Oct 2005, Paul Lussier wrote:

 >  Distance: 72 miles
 >   Time:     45 minutes
 >   Speed:    96 MPH

Time: 45 minutes
  Speed: 96 MPH

Actual Time: 50 minutes (5 minute clock drift)
  Speed: 86 MPH (10 MPH difference)

Time: 55 minutes (10 minute clock drift)
  Speed: 78 MPH (18 MPH difference)

Put it the other way; assuming the speed limit on the Mass Pike is 65
MPH, let's look at 72 miles at 65 MPH.

Distance: 72 miles
Actual Time: 66 minutes
Speed: 65 MPH

5-minute clock drift: 61 minutes
Computed speed: 70 MPH

10-minute clock drift: 56 minutes
Computed speed: 77 MPH

Now you're legal, but the scanners claim you're speeding, and you're
paying a ticket and increased insurance costs for something you didn't do.

ICQ 28611923 / AIM abreauj / JABBER jabr at jabber.org / YAHOO abreauj
Email jabr at blu.org / WWW http://www.abreau.net / PGP-Key-ID 0xD5C7B5D9