64-bit RPM/APT based systems - Worth it?

Bill McGonigle bill at bfccomputing.com
Sun Oct 30 09:28:00 EST 2005

On Oct 29, 2005, at 20:24, Brian Chabot wrote:

> How backward-compatible are they with 32-bit apps?  I know there would
> be a certain lossin performance, but for instance, would a commercial
> version of UT2004 for Linux be able to run on a 64-bit system?

Someone will correct me if I'm mistaken, but as I understand it x86-64
is an instruction set addition to IA32.  So it's not a 64-bit chip like
an Alpha, it's a 64-bit chip like a PowerPC. A fundamentally 32-bit
chip with provisions for 64-bit operations and memory addressing.

So, AFAIK, you can run a 32-bit distro just fine on them (unlike
Itanium) which will leave some of the silicon idle, but when a
compelling 64-bit OS comes out you're good to go.

-Bill

-----
bill at bfccomputing.com           Mobile: 603.252.2606
http://www.bfccomputing.com/    Pager: 603.442.1833