64-bit RPM/APT based systems - Worth it?

Jerry Feldman gaf at blu.org
Mon Oct 31 13:15:01 EST 2005

On Monday 31 October 2005 12:05 pm, John Abreau wrote:

> I assume Ben meant they won't be designing *new* 32-bit chips. Of course
> they'll still be manufacturing the existing chips for as long as they
> are contractually obligated to.
The Intel roadmap is somewhat difficult to read, but they will be shifting
their production to EM64T technology. This technology fully supports 32-bit
architecture.  Of course, there are contractual obligations, that does not
mean they must supply pure 32-bit chips. They must supply chips that will
operate according to the existing contracts. The roadmap is a bit difficult
to read since it says something like "Intel® Celeron® D Processor 351Δ or
greater". If you look at the Celeron you will note that the 351 is EM64T.
Looking at AMD's roadmap, it also shows only 64-bit systems moving forward.

The bottom line is that neither AMD nor Intel are publicly planning to
manufacture the older 32-bit chips.
--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix user group