Ink jet refill kit experiences?

Ted Roche tedroche at tedroche.com
Thu Sep 1 14:45:02 EDT 2005

On Sep 1, 2005, at 12:28 PM, Bill Sconce wrote:

> Good news:
>     But wait, there's more.
> The bad news:
>
>     Cartridges for HP are not as cheap as those for Epson.  Black for
>     the D145 is $13.99;  color is $17.99.    (*ouch*)

Yes, I knew about the "economy" cartridges. And the swapping. Got a
couple carts spare, just for that purpose.

> A final bit of good news:
> P.S.  I have no financial interest, I'm only a satisfied customer,
> etc.

And THAT was exactly what I was asking for -- first-hand positive
experiences. Thanks, too, to Jerry and Bill McG for the cautionary
tales, but I'm determined to squeeze a bit more out of this printer
before I throw it on the trash heap. Or at least annoy myself trying
<g>.

> P.P.S.  To Ted, or anyone I see at meetings:  I'll be happy to pick
> up anything you might decide to get from these guys.

Thanks. I may take you up on that. In the meantime, I've got a refill
kit. You'll recognize me at the next meeting - the guy with the CMYK
fingers <g>.

> (*) There's an HP dodge whereby the printer "remembers" the serial
> numbers of the last 3 cartridges inserted in it, so that if you try
> a refill you have to cycle two other cartridges through so that
> "your" number gets flushed from cache.   Grrr.

Well, this is the American Way. Driving prices down below reasonable
competitive levels means the printer companies have to make cheaper
devices (not like the 80 lb. NEC SilentWriter that served me well for
a decade) and find alternative means of making a profit. Cheap
plastic devices with expensive and expiring replacement parts and
short shelf lives let them maintain a profit margin while selling
junk under cost. Eliminating compettion from cartridge-clone-makers
with DMCA-protected chips is just another technique. Just another Wal-
Mart experience!