static IP configuration problem

Greg Rundlett greg.rundlett at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 00:00:01 EDT 2005

> I could be wrong, but I don't think that debian likes having extraneous
> lines after the auto eth0 line. Try putting your iface eth0 inet static
> (and subsequent lines) immediately after it and see if that helps.

Tried that, but to no avail. I thought maybe there was a conflict with the
number of IP addresses my router was handing out, but that doesn't make
sense. I configured the DHCP pool to start at
192.168.1.101<http://192.168.1.101>and go up 25 (there are only about
5 network interfaces on my network so 25
is plenty). Then I tried assigning a static address to host X inside that
range, and outside that range, and it doesn't seem to matter.