Need assistance with Cisco PIX configuration

Bill McGonigle bill at bfccomputing.com
Tue Sep 13 09:50:01 EDT 2005

Don't be afraid to turn on the PIX GUI, which runs over HTTP.  Try
connecting to it with a web browser - it might be on.  I've done plenty
of Cisco router configs and I find them straightforward.  The PIX GUI
is usable though cumbersome for most applications.  The PIX CLI is down
right difficult to work with.   And I've done many PIX configurations
over the past couple years.  I have the books and it just shouldn't be
that hard.  IPTables is far easier to understand and that's saying
something.

We saw a great presentation on Linux/BSD firewalls at MonadLUG this
month.  I'll be replacing a PIX at a major client site with one of them
(probably m0n0wall, not quite sure yet) in a few weeks.  Lots of
features, easy to use, stable, free and reliable security updates,
cheap to have a spare, easier to find help with.

-Bill

-----
bill at bfccomputing.com           Mobile: 603.252.2606
http://www.bfccomputing.com/    Pager: 603.442.1833