static IP configuration problem

Benjamin Scott dragonhawk at iname.com
Tue Sep 13 20:52:00 EDT 2005

On Sep 12 at 9:36pm, Greg Rundlett wrote:
> When I boot the machine, the networking fails.

   Please explain "the networking fails".

   Are you getting any error messages on the console; if so, whay are they?
Are you seeing any messages at all about network-related stuff?  Have you
checked the system log (/var/log/messages or whatever)?  After boot, when
"networking fails", before you mess with anything, what does "ifconfig -a"
say?

> If I edit the interface, switching over to a DHCP configuration, things work

   What if you juse use "ifconfig" manually?  For example:

 	ifconfig eth0 192.168.10.20 netmask 255.255.255.0

> First, I editted my (non-working) configuration, UNcommenting the line
> highlighted in green, and commenting the lines highlighted in pink.

   Ummmm... it all looks like plain text to me.  :-)

--
Ben <dragonhawk at iname.com>