Linux Printer from Win98

Benjamin Scott dragonhawk at iname.com
Wed Sep 14 21:55:01 EDT 2005

On Sep 14 at 3:52pm, Jim Kuzdrall wrote:
>   7. The 8.2 smb.conf is virtually the same as 9.3 smb.conf except for "add
> machine script" needed by samba 3.0.

   The word "virtually" in the above worries me.  I've certainly burned myself
with statements like that before.  :-)  But anyway...

   Try adding the following to smb.conf, in the "[global]" section:

 	load printers = yes
 	show add printer wizard = no
 	use client driver = yes
 	lanman auth = yes
 	ntlm auth = yes

   Restart Samba and try again.

   If it still doesn't work, try stopping the CUPS printer but keeping the
queue enabled.  I might have the terminology there wrong; the idea is to let
documents queue for printing but not print them.  Then try printing from Doze
to Nix.  See if the document queues, and check the size, and maybe even the
spooled file contents.  That will tell you where things are breaking down.
It may be that things go as far as Win98->Samba->CUPS and then barfs in the
printer, due to something stupid CUPS is doing.  (In my experience, CUPS does
a lot of stupid things.)

   If things aren't even making it to CUPS, try increasing the log level (debug
level) in Samba.  You can change smb.conf, or use "smbcontrol".  For example:

 	smbcontrol smbd debug 7

   The above will set the log level to seven, which is pretty high.  Try your
print attempt then, and check the logs.  Keep raising the level until you get
something useful.  Don't forget to set it back to 3 when you're done; Samba
can generate phenomenal amounts of debug info.  :)

>     remote announce = 192.168.0.255

   FWIW, I don't think the above should be in there.  My understanding is that
"remote announce" is only needed for browsing non-local networks without WINS
(I *always* use WINS, so I've never tried it).  But I don't think this is
causing your printer trouble.

--
Ben <dragonhawk at iname.com>