Half Dux Linksys?

Star nhstar at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 18:04:00 EDT 2005

On 9/15/05, Lawrence Tilly <mail.list.tilly at gmail.com> wrote:

> Good afternoon, all.
>
> Today I had my service swapped over from cable to DSL. When I hit
> Speakeasy's speed test after the new service was setup however I got a bit
> of a shock. My download speed was clocking in at only 800kbps ( upload is
> about 650 ). I was a bit concerned and so I reconnected my cable modem and
> tried again...and got very similar results ( 780 down and 500 up ).
>
> I disconnected my Linksys Firewall Router ( BESFX41 ) and went directly
> against the modems. This looked much better. My upload didn't change in
> either case but my download for both went up over 3k. I have a standard
> Linksys Router ( BEFSR41 ) here also which I hooked up. This had almost no
> impact on the speeds, so it's definetly something with the FIrewall Router.
>
> I went thru the admin menu of the troublesome equipment and I can't find
> anything that might put this thing into half duplex mode or otherwise
> cripple it's performance. I have no logging enabled on the router and no
> special filters running. I double-checked Linksys site and am running the
> most current firmware ( dated 2004 ) and Google has not turned up any leads.
> I have been using this unit for the last 2+ years and to be honest with you
> it has been a LONG time since I've done a speed test, probably when I first
> got everything networked up, so I couldn't say when it may have done this to
> me. I know I could just put in the non-firewall in place for now but I
> really don't want to give up the firewall.
>
> Any ideas / suggestions / experience?
>
> -L

When my linksys was finally dying, after 3+ years of constant service, it
was doing much the same... speed seemed to wind-down, and when I hooked the
ports up directly to system (including the wan port) they were indeed all
linking at half-duplex, save, I think, port 1. I ended up retiring it. I
went the geeky route with a small multi-homed debian box and a WAP to keep
the wireless, but my speed with comcast jumped up again, then higher when I
moved to Speakeasy...

just my experience

~ *