Can TWiki URLs be made to suck less?

Bruce Dawson jbd at codemeta.com
Tue Sep 27 09:13:01 EDT 2005

> This is one of those minor nits that start to really irritate one
> after awhile: TWiki URLs suck.  They're impossible to transcribe by
> hand, they're long, they're ugly, they frequently get mangled, etc.
>
> Does anyone know of an easy way to make TWiki URLs not suck?
>
> For example, take this URL:
>
> http://wiki.gnhlug.org/twiki2/bin/view/Www/RegularSchedule
>
> Blech!  Ideally, I would like it to be:
>
> http://wiki.gnhlug.org/RegularSchedule

Not quite like that. But I believe we can create an Apache alias that will
map http://wiki.gnhlug.org/W/RegularSchedule to
http://wiki.gnhlug.org/twiki2/bin/view/Www/RegularSchedule.

However, note that using this URL will prohibit edits and other features.

> Anyone know if this is easily possible?  A cursory check of the TWiki
> docs found nothing, and Google finds tons of the wrong info.  I
> suspect this might actually be more of an Apache question then a TWiki
> question.
>
> The problem may be complicated by the fact that TWiki adds things to
> the URLs to do more things, such as:
>
> http://wiki.gnhlug.org/twiki2/bin/oops/Www/RegularSchedule?template=oopsmore&param1=1.2&param2=1.2

Fortuantely, those "things" are suffixes and will work with the alias idea
I mentioned above.

> I don't really care about those (they're for the computer, not
> people), but we can't break those when we improve the "regualar" URLs.
>
> Anyone have any ideas?

--Bruce