Umask?

Neil Schelly neil at jenandneil.com
Tue Apr 4 12:44:00 EDT 2006

I've got a debian system here and most definitely have the umask command, but
it's not a binary or a package or anything like that.  It's a BASH builtin,
so you won't see it anywhere in a package.

Anyway, in answer to the question you were trying to answer on the BBS,
default permissions are kinda decided by the process doing the writing.  Lots
of daemons have options for default umasks, bash does with the umask command,
etc.  That is the general term for how to specify default permissions, but it
doesn't imply a specific global means of setting it.
-N