DVI monitor won't wake up?

Cole Tuininga colet at code-energy.com
Thu Apr 6 10:47:00 EDT 2006

On Wed, 2006-04-05 at 19:38 -0400, mike ledoux wrote:
> Dell FP monitor, right?

Ayup...

> I've seen this failure mode on a bunch of
> them, mostly 2000FPs and 2001FPs, though also on a couple 1900FPs,
> where the DVI input goes dead but the monitor works fine on the
> analog inputs.

Keep in mind, the DVI input isn't dead.  It just won't work in anything
but text mode.

> In about 3/4 of the cases I saw, the problem was
> accompanied by a high-pitched whine from the display while the DVI
> input is working, followed shortly by the DVI input going dead
> again.

Hmmm - I haven't noticed this.  I'm really hoping this isn't the case
since the monitor is brand-spanking-new.

> In 100% of the cases I saw, the analog circuit failed not long
> after, usually within a month or so.

Yikes!

> If you have access to a system with a known working DVI output, I
> would suggest testing the monitor there just to verify that the
> problem is in the monitor and not the video hardware.

Unfortunately, I do not.  I do, however, have the hardware warranty...

--
Cole Tuininga <colet at code-energy.com>