Booth 1035 at LinuxWorld (GNHLUG) amazingly busy...

Bill Sconce sconce at in-spec-inc.com
Thu Apr 6 11:55:01 EDT 2006

On Tue, 4 Apr 2006 19:05:01 -0400
"hewitt_tech" <hewitt_tech at comcast.net> wrote:

> Due to traffic and the weather we got to the booth at about 10:30 this
> morning. I was astonished at the number of visitors to the GNHLUG booth
> specifically. People mostly wanted to know when/where the various
> chapters have meetings. I strongly suggested they join the appropriate
> mailing list so that they could see what we were up to. Out booth is
> right next door to a Montreal based hardware company called Ciara
> Technologies. They helped us by supplying a few more banner hangers
> and helped setup the banner. Nice bunch of folks...

And Wednesday was even better (perhaps).  Of course the desperation of
getting things set up was behind us.  The handout showing "chapters"
and meeting towns was what people seemed to want.  (I guess we didn't
need booth babes.)

There was lots of good SWAG - LED yo-yos, fuzzy penguins, all that
stuff.  I scooped up some which could be good door prizes for upcoming
meetings.  Our neighbor catacorner is Linux Journal - they gave us
a few copies of their Archive CDROM: their first 116 issues, March 1994 to
December 2003.  Catacorner the other way is Apress, BLU is next
door.  We're at the end of a row, next to an area of park benches,
VERY good for traffic.  The great real estate *and the great banner*
made all the difference in drawing people in.

After making the rounds the first time it dawned on me (genius that
I am!) that LinuxWorld is a great chance to troll for speakers.  I
have three or four cards where people said "yes, we could do that".

A delightful affair.  I hope today is going as well.

-Bill

P.S. I took the bus from Concord, on Ed Lawson's (and Ted Roche's)
recommendation.  The ONLY way to travel -- sit back, read an
article, walk for fifteen minutes to the convention center.  It's
still Boston, but to not have to drive -- what a pleasure!