Free web-based email?

Jason Stephenson jason at sigio.com
Sat Apr 8 12:45:01 EDT 2006

Bill McGonigle wrote:

> I've been pretty happy with SquirrelMail.  It's not flashy or AJAX yet,
> but it works OK.  Runs on Linux/Apache/PHP - I think many ISP's offer it
> with their minimal-level packages (a few bucks a month).

I set up SquirrelMail where I work. It works and was pretty simple to
setup. Another feature it lacks that I might actually add is SSL
support. SquirrelMail itself doesn't need much to support SSL if your
server does. It just needs to have all the links changed that start
"http://" to use a funtion that checks the protocol in use and outputs
either http or https. 'Course it might just work if you configure Apache
to force SSL on that directory.

Frankly, if you don't trust Google with your email, then I don't think
you could really trust anyone other than yourself, could you? Says the
guy who has had a Yahoo! account since 1999.

Cheers,
Jason