PySIG meeting in two weeks, April 27th 2006 -- TECO!

Bill Sconce sconce at in-spec-inc.com
Wed Apr 12 16:23:01 EDT 2006

The next meeting of the Greater New Hampshire Python & Milk/ Cookies SIG
will be in two weeks -- Thursday, April 27th, at the Amoskeag Business
Incubator, 7:00 P.M. (the usual place, the usual time).

I'm sending this out to both the PySIG and GNHLUG mailing lists in the
hope that, after the successful Python evening at Seacoast LUG night
before last Ben will come, and we can have someone to heckle.   :)

Also, we have a special program.  Paul Koning, who had never used Python
until recently, will tell us about his first, "getting to know Python"
programming experience.  Something just a little bit challenging:
rewriting PDP-11 TECO.

It should be an interesting evening, especially to hear about what went
well (or not) in learning a new language in such an environment.  Can
you imagine writing TECO as your exercise to learn C++?  (And of course,
now we have TECO for Linux.  And for the Mac.  And for everything else
wherever Python runs.)

We'll also have our usual Q&A, and Python trivia.  Because several
people asked us about Python at LinuxWorld last week we'll include some
material for newbies.  (Please be thinking about that - should we have
a newbies segment EVERY meeting?)

There may also be cookies and milk again, depending...   :)

See you there!

-Bill

Paul Koning started programming in 1970, using Algol.  Ever since,
he  has had a liking for clearly constructed programming languages.
The fact that Python and Algol first flourished in the same place
(MC Amsterdam) is probably not a surprise.

Then again, Paul started programming in TECO -- perhaps the most
warped programming language that was actually used for real work --
in 1974.

He came to the USA in 1973, and made programming his profession in
1978 at Digital, where he worked for 16 years.  Most recently, in
2001, he was co-founder of EqualLogic, a leader in IP Storage
(iSCSI) products.

Directions to the Amoskeag Business Incubator are at:
    www.snhu.edu/amoskeagincubator/directions.html

Bill's version, for those coming from the north...  use Exit 6 from I-293.
Don't go around & over at the exit, but bear  straight to the stop sign.

At the stop sign turn left (south).  A Hospital sign points to the south.
There are several service stations, and a Dunkin across from them.  Follow
this street south all the way to Granite Street.

(It's one street, but it has several names:  Eddy Road first I think;
eventually it becomes Main Street.)  It goes by Catholic Medical Center.

Turn left (east) at Granite Street.  (There's a second Dunkin opposite.)

Go under I-293 and across the Merrimack River.

First right after crossing the bridge is Commercial Street:  turn right
(south).

Go past one parking-lot entrance, turn (right) into the second one.
33 Commercial Street will be right in front of you.  There's also
a sign for the Starfish Grill.  Go in either via the ramp or the
door.

Inside.  Up the stairs if via the door.  Ramp is up already.  Go through
the glass doors - follow the diamonds on the floor.  Go left at the last
diamond.  (Under a sign which says "<- Amoskeag Small Bus. Incubator").

More diamonds, another sign...  BIG sign for Furniture Warehouse,
turn left there, 4 more diamonds and youre at the glass doors
for the Incubator.  An "abi" sign is above.