pptpd and chap-secrets

Ben Scott dragonhawk at gmail.com
Tue Apr 18 10:20:35 EDT 2006

On 4/18/06, Travis Roy <travis at scootz.net> wrote:
> Does anybody know a way to get chap-secrets to look at NIS for
> authentication information rather then just what's in the file.

  Use the "login" directive to pppd, which tells it to authenticate
username and password against the host system.  I think it uses PAM on
Red Hat (and I expect others), so it will hit local passwd, NIS, LDAP,
you name it.

  It will still check the secrets file to make sure the user is
authorized to connect.  If you want *anyone* with a login to be able
to connect, there's a syntax for that.  I think you use a star (*) for
the local and remote addresses, and an at (@) sign for the secret, or
something like that.

  Check the pppd man page for the details and to double-check my
memory, but this should get you pointed in the right direction.

> I'm using poptop pptp server.

  PPTP?  Ewwww.  :)

-- Ben