yahoo -> verizon mail br0ken

Dan Jenkins dan at rastech.com
Mon Apr 24 09:02:01 EDT 2006

Seth Cohn wrote:

>>: Remote host said: 550 Email from your Email Service Provider is currently
>>: blocked by
>>: Verizon Online's anti-spam system.  The email "sender" or Email Service
>>: Provider may visit
>>: http://www.verizon.net/whitelist and request removal of the block.
>>

>FYI, they are blocking gmail too... as I got a similar blocked message
>last night.
>
>Someone at Verizon doesn't know what they are doing.

And, in what manner, is this a surprise?

I've had them block Comcast before (and, yes, I was relaying through
Comcast's SMTP server properly). GMail & Yahoo Mail has been a problem
upon occasion too.

I have to drive to the North Country to fix a network. The customer was
having some problem accessing Verizon's webmail and called Verizon
(rather than us). Verizon had them rewire and reconfigure the network.
The end result, they have an on-demand PPPoE connection for a single
Windows system instead of an always-on connection for a Linux/Windows
network. The single system on the Internet can no longer see the rest of
the network. Verizon told them to throw out their broken router, which
happens to be a $2000 Sonicwall VPN solution. That's the point the
customer called us, thank the gods.

Of course, it is not a Verizon monopoly, just last week I had a
customer, who uses Comcast's authenticated SMTP, have his email rejected
while traveling. Comcast said that smtp.comcast.net was blacklisted. :-)
(It was fixed within an hour, FWIW.)

--
Dan Jenkins (dan at rastech.com)
Rastech Inc., Bedford, NH, USA --- 1-603-206-9951