What's a developer to do?

Jon Hall maddog at dtype.org
Mon Apr 24 13:14:00 EDT 2006

>Well, LSB is Linux-only.

No.  BSD and Solaris systems can also pass the LSB.  OS X could pass it if
they wanted to.

LSB simply defines a binary interface for applications to run.....and it
does it on a architecture basis.

>Starpacks will run on Linux, OS-X, Windows, ...
>- and *with the same binary*!

Uhhhh, I think you mean that the *envelope file* Starpacks creates will
deliver the binaries needed for all these platforms, if you have the binaries,
by utilizing the TCL interpreter.  Correct?

You still have to have the binaries of the application itself for a particular
OS and architecture, and in the case of Linux, it would be nice if that
application followed the LSB, and if the platforms you were delivering it for
were LSB compliant.

Of course I do not see where Starkits does any of the testing for prerequisites
and dependencies that RPM or APT does.....

md