Recommendations for C++ sourcecode analysis tools

Steven W. Orr steveo at syslang.net
Wed Apr 26 10:16:00 EDT 2006

On Wednesday, Apr 26th 2006 at 08:48 -0400, quoth Paul Lussier:

=>"Steven W. Orr" <steveo at syslang.net> writes:
=>
=>> =>>If you want a tool from that class, my fave is idtools. Way superior.
=>>
=>> It comes with a tool called mkid which scans a directory hierarchy. It
=>> knows about a lot of different languages because it has a different
=>> scanner for each language. mkid produces as output a bitmap of all
=>> symbols' references and definitions. Then it comes with a a bunch of
=>> access tools that each in id.
=>>
=>> gid (as in grep id) knows what lines and what files to find the refs.
=>> eig just lists the files
=>> aid produces the filenames with a degree of approximation as to how the
=>> arg is spelled,
=>> etc...
=>
=>This seems to be the id-utils package in Debian.  Steve, could you
=>provide a small example of how to get set up with this and how you use
=>it?
=>
=>--
=>Seeya,
=>Paul

Just run mkid and it will scan the tree that you are in to produce a file
called ID. Then you query the file with the different query tools

gid foo will produce a grep of all lines of all files that ref foo.
lid foo '''''''''''''' list of all filenames that ref foo.
        for spelling errors of foo.

etc

steveo at syslang.net