remove linux, and then install Windows XP

Neil Schelly neil at jenandneil.com
Wed Apr 26 10:35:59 EDT 2006

It seems you're getting a lot of help with the MBR, but that isn't what you're
looking for.  You have/had Linux on there and want to install Windows over it
instead.

As far as I know, you just have to boot from the Windows install disc and it
will be more than happy to just take over the hard disk regardless of whether
or not your MBR or partition tables are clear.

In your case, you said that instead of booting from the Windows installer
disc, you saw a GRUB message instead of the Windows bootup.  That would
indicate to me that your BIOS is set to boot from the hard disk before the
CD-ROM.

So clearing your MBR will probably make the BIOS try and boot from the hard
disk, fail, and then boot from the CD-ROM.  But you may find it a whole lot
easier to tell your BIOS to look to the CD-ROM first.
-N