remove linux, and then install Windows XP

Paul Lussier p.lussier at comcast.net
Wed Apr 26 21:41:01 EDT 2006

"Tom Buskey" <tom at buskey.name> writes:

>> One Google answer suggested that I can use "fdisk /mbr" to wipe the boot
>> record clean, but in rescue mode of Fedora Core 5, this (/mbr) seemed an
>> invalid option.
>
> 3) I think on the linux rescue you can also do something like:
>
> dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda bs=2048 count=1

Just to wipe the MBR you simply need to do:

  dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda bs=512 count=1

We actually have a script called 'refai' which does this, then issues
'reboot'.  since all the BIOSes are configured to fail-over into PXE
boot, this will in fact, automagically re-install a machine via FAI :)
--
Seeya,
Paul