Emacs-over-ssh?

Ben Scott dragonhawk at gmail.com
Sat Apr 29 15:48:00 EDT 2006

On 4/29/06, James R. Van Zandt <jrvz at comcast.net> wrote:
> I agree screen is very useful.  I start long jobs that way, so I can
> reattach later (from a different machine, or after booting into a
> different OS).

  Indeed.  I especially use it for sensitive things (e.g., updates to
critical packages), in case I get disconnected somehow.

> One annoyance: when I use it with Emacs, I keep
> forgetting that screen takes over ^A.

Try this:

	screen '-e^\^\'

  That tells screen the attention keystroke is [CTRL]+[\], and that
the binding for the screen command which sends the attention keystroke
to the program inside screen is also [CTRL]+[\] (so you tap [\] twice
to send it once).

> It would also be nice to hear about VNC, which I think lets you do
> similar things with an X session.

  Quick start: Issue the command "vncserver".  If you've never done so
before, it will prompt you for a password to protect your VNC session.
 Then it will start one, and tell you the number -- you usually end up
with display :1 on nix systems.  Then, from any GUI (X11, doze, tosh),
run "vncviewer".  Enter "host:displaynum" to connect to a VNC display.
 You can even do this on the localhost.

  For example, I just now did this:

	$ vncserver

	New 'wildfire:1 (bscott)' desktop is wildfire:1

	Starting applications specified in /home/bscott/.vnc/xstartup
	Log file is /home/bscott/.vnc/wildfire:1.log

And then I did

	$ vncviewer localhost:1

to connect to it.

  For more info, RTFM.  ;-)