errors using yum to install from fedora (5) core repositories

Ben Scott dragonhawk at gmail.com
Tue Aug 8 11:29:00 EDT 2006

On 8/4/06, Python <python at venix.com> wrote:
> I've been unable to to install packages from the fedora core
> repositories (and mirrors).

  FWIW, I booted my FC5 install, and yum Worked For Me(TM).  The
fedora-core.repo file does contain a URL that looks like the URL that
was giving you trouble:

#baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/$releasever/$basearch/os/

  However, as you can see, it is commented out.  The actual file
retrieved is the mirror list:

mirrorlist=http://fedora.redhat.com/download/mirrors/fedora-core-$releasever

  Retrieving that mirror list, I note that the primary Red Hat
download server has a slightly different URL:

http://redhat.download.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/core/5/$ARCH/os/

  That URL does appear to be valid.  So I would guess the
commented-out URL is a leftover from before automatic mirror handling
was implemented in YUM, several releases ago.

  Not that that explains what happened to you.

> NOTE that it inserts Fedora/ between os/ and RPMS/.

  As far as I know, Red Hat has "always" done this.  That is to say,
they stick the name of the distribution between the "root" of the
distribution directory (be it on CD or FTP) and the RPMS directory.
So that isn't a recent change.

  Things that might explain this behavior:

- The mirror list got fscked up some how, and was later fixed
- YUM's local cache of mirrors and other config information got
scrogged on your system some how

  For reference, I'm attaching the /etc/yum.repos.d/fedora-core.repo
file from my FC5 system, which is basically a completely stock+updates
FC5 install.  (I've been reviewing Debian "etch" the past couple of
months, and I only installed FC5 as a reference for comparison.)

-- Ben