UPSes - MinuteMan, others?

Jim Kuzdrall gnhlug at intrel.com
Thu Aug 10 06:57:00 EDT 2006

On Wednesday 09 August 2006 10:56 pm, Ben Scott wrote:
> Hello world!
>
>   I'm looking for opinions on UPSes.  I've long been buying APC
> Smart-UPS units, and while I've generally been happy with them for
> what they are, I'm encountering some situations where something else
> may be needed.  Specially, high-value, sensitive computer and test
> equipment...

    I have been using Trip-Lite SU1000RT2U for several years now.  It
was expensive, because it is a sine wave output which continuously
supplies a portion of the power, allowing it to be instantly on when
needed.

    I was using an APC Pro-1100, but the particular PC board I was using
liked to reset when the UPS kicked in or out.  The Trip-Lite solved the
problem and then some.  It is a very nice design.  But those guys who
grub through the details to design these things (which few Americans
are willing or able to do these days) want to get paid for their
effort.  I think it cost about $600 a few years ago.

Jim Kuzdrall